Friday, July 31, 2015

I can never spell exercise.

I few days ago I came home from schwork feeling slightly less obsessive depressive about my thesis research. I just triumphed at the gym! For the first time in months, no meat heads or hip niggles prevented me from doing single leg box jumps or guided squats. Although I feel like the last year of grad school has been countless wrong decision after wrong decision, I can at least feel victorious over this. Just as my adrenaline was slightly dulled by the irrational thought that this was the only thing I had going for me, John told me to read this Time article. "Why Exercising is a Higher Priority than my Career," singing me praises!

I've written on this theme numerous times in my blog. I fully believe exercise is the solution to most physical and mental health issues. As the author states, "when I exercise, it makes me better in every role I have, whether its as a husband, father, friend or entrepreneur." However, I cringe at how staunch the author sounds. Your career--and especially your family--should definitely take higher priority over exercise occasionally. I hate to think what a drag this guy would be working as Lani's technician, the habitus of passerine birds dictating his work schedule. This article also failed to mention the myriad of other ways people can rejuvenate their life balance. While I would love for every human to enjoy exercise bar none, I recognize that every one has their own special way of getting their head on straight at end the day.

The compatibility between work and training is the most utilitarian answer to achieving the utmost in both. Not that I am claiming to be the most excellent budding scientist in my department. I am just saying that however balance is achieved, it should usually be given top priority. This article is extreme, but I think most people need to realize how seriously beneficial regular exercise is. Likewise, some athletes can be extreme, and we should recognize the severity of taking this article too seriously.
A big s/o to my friend Lani who turns what could potentially be an all-consuming stress project into a fun adventure complete with belly laughs.. This is us in our P.P.E.

When I was in the field, I worked an average of 11 hours per day for 12 days straight. I was able to eek out 40 miles of running, which is what I normally see in 5-6 days. C'est la vie, I could not put exercising first for these 12 days, but I would certainly not neglect it. So here are my tips for training when life ebbs on your flow and work becomes the top priority.  These particularly apply to life in the Piceance (almost rhymes with nuance, although I prefer to think it sounds like fiancĂ©e).

10 Don't eat, you die. Same for not drinking water. This is amazingly common sense, but it is wondrous how such a simple concept is overlooked when you are trying to stay energized through a long day.

9 Embrace life. Its jelly knees, its flues, its stuck toe joints, its travel, its work, its play.

8 Field work usually means a rare type of shoe for your foot. This summer for me it means hiking boots and pinchy steel toe boot covers. Hot spots + bug bites = cankles galore. In the past, it meant swamp foot waders. Beware, this is an easy and inconspicuous way to get injured (see number 4).

7 For trail time, find a cattle drive trail and pray you are not trespassing.

6 Cross train when you can. It's hard to access a weight room, or even throw down a yoga mat for some core work when you are living in a trailer with three other people (don't be that girl). Take opportunities to engage yourself. For example, when our septic system was clogged, and we needed to use an old Christmas tree to poke the poop out of the way, we also needed someone to javelin the poop stick far far away. This was my opportunity to use some life skills FEC taught me.



5  I find it snooty how athletes call "work outs" a specific session, yet everyday joe's know a work out is a work out. This goes to show everything is context dependent.

4 Continuing on that topic, you deserve a rest day after twelve days in the Piceance. Even if you already took five of those twelve days off (see number 8).

3 Continuing on that topic, get your "work outs" in before you are pooped. I got in a fartlek, a 20 minute tempo, and sprints post-run the three occasions I felt up for it.

2 You are you so don't listen to me.

1 Be the best you can in every moment.


Thanks to my friend  Zander for so timely sharing this article.

No comments:

Post a Comment